As the Forest Preserves of Cook County’s first land acquisition back in 1916, Deer Grove is significant for numerous reasons. To some, it marks a momentous step in the FPCC’s efforts to succeed in their mission of acquiring, restoring and managing lands for the purpose of protecting and preserving public open space. To Deer Grove West volunteers, the acquisition has enabled them to contribute countless hours and many years of dedicated service, adding value to the preserve.
This year marks the 20th anniversary of the Deer Grove West volunteer group, an organization whose goal is to restore the natural communities of Deer Grove West to pre-European settlement conditions, and to enable them to support the native plant and animal communities historically found at Deer Grove. The group has seen many accomplishments during their time, including restoring approximately 70 acres of land, growing as an organization, and having volunteers become more knowledgeable in the work they’re doing. Read More