Second Annual Forest Preserves Photo Contest!
We’re excited to announce the second annual Forest Preserves of Cook County photo contest. More than 350 photos were submitted in last year’s inaugural contest, with over 1500 votes cast on the winners.
This year’s winning photos will be featured in our 2014 wall calendar, on our website and social channels and in an exhibit displayed at the Cook County Building in downtown Chicago, and in various suburban courthouses.
We’re looking for photos of Forest Preserves landscapes, close-ups of plants, insects, birds and other wildlife, pictures that highlight the various seasons, and shots of people enjoying the outdoors or participating in our recreational offerings.
Enter the contest by submitting your very best images of the Cook County forest preserves through our Flickr group between September 1 and 15 (http://www.flickr.com/groups/fpdcc/.) Tag the photos with FP2014CC to make sure they’ll be considered.
Photos must be submitted in digital format such as JPEG or TIF and must be a minimum of 3600 x 2700 pixels at 300 dpi. Photos included in the calendar will be horizontal – vertical images will be cropped to fit the page layout.
All photographs must have been taken in a Cook County Forest Preserve (including the Brookfield Zoo or Chicago Botanic Garden) and captions must be included. Limit 5 photos per person. Photos that were selected as finalists in last year’s contest are not eligible this year.
Public voting for the winning photos will take place through our Facebook page between October 1 and 10.https://www.facebook.com/pages/Forest-Preserve-District-of-Cook-County/134757885128.
In addition to being featured in the calendar and exhibition, each of the winning photographers will receive a prize -packages including among other things free admission to the Brookfield Zoo and free skiing at the Sagawau Environmental Learning Center.
Share your nature explorations with us – we can’t wait to see them!
PLEASE READ ALL OFFICIAL RULES BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR PHOTOS.
PLEASE READ ALL DETAILS AND OFFICIAL RULES BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR PHOTOS.
2014 FPDCC Calendar Contest Photo Submission Official Rules
All photo entries for the 2014 FPDCC calendar contest must be submitted via Flickr (instructions follow).
- Submission is open from September 1, 2013 until September 15, 2013. Entries received after this period will not be eligible for inclusion in the 2014 calendar.
- Photos submitted must be your own work and you must own the rights to distribute the image.
- Photos should feature Forest Preserves landscapes, close-ups of plants, insects, birds and other wildlife, pictures that highlight the various seasons, and shots of people enjoying the outdoors or participating in our recreational offerings.
- Photos that have already been submitted to our Flickr group are eligible for the contest as long as they were not finalists last year. They should be tagged #FP2014CC to be considered.
- Photos submitted for the 2014 calendar contest must be tagged: #FP2014CC. Photos submitted without this tag will not be considered for inclusion in the 2014 contest.
- Photos that were selected as finalists in last year’s contest are not eligible.
- There is a submission limit of 5 entries/photos per person.
- Each submission must include a caption with the specific location within the Cook County Forest Preserve system where it was shot and the approximate date when the photo was taken (i.e.: Busse Woods fall 2007; Des Plaines Trail, March 2012 or Potawatomi Lake, June 26, 2010).
- All submissions must be free of watermarks (All winning photos included in the calendar will be credited appropriately.)
- Photos should be in digital format such as JPEG of TIF and must be a minimum of 3600 x 2700 pixels at 300 dpi. Photos included in the calendar will be horizontal – vertical images will be cropped to fit the page layout.
- Please make your best efforts to identify plants or wildlife if they are the subject of your photo and include their identification in your caption. (i.e. Turkey Vulture flying over Tampier Slough, Palos Township Forest Preserve, July 10, 2012).
- You must obtain (and supply upon request) the name of and written permission from any persons included in the photos you submit, authorizing their image to be used in FPDCC digital and/or print materials. Entries of people for whom you are not able to supply the appropriate written releases cannot be included in the calendar and other FPDCC materials.
- Photos including nudity, profanity, commercial or political interests, graffiti, or anything wildly off-topic are strictly prohibited. The FPDCC reserves the right to disqualify any photographs that are deemed inappropriate.
- The Forest Preserves of Cook County gains a royalty-free, nonexclusive, world-wide, irrevocable right, in perpetuity, to:
o Use the submitted photograph in its 2014 Wall Calendar and related photo exhibition, on its website, in connection with the photo contest and calendar, and on its social media pages.
o As conditions of this permission, The Forest Preserve District of Cook County shall credit all photographs used with the caption and “Person’s Name”, when the full name is available, or by the participants Flickr username when the participant’s full name is unavailable.
HOW TO ENTER:
Via Flickr™ – To submit your photos via Flickr™
Log on Use your Yahoo! ID, Google or Facebook to login to www.flickr.com. If you do not have an account, you can sign-up for free at www.flickr.com.
Join us After logging in, go to “Communities”, then “Search Groups” and type: FPDCC (for Forest Preserve District of Cook County). Our group should come up first. Click on the group name and then on “Join Group”
Add your photo(s) On the top of the page, you will see the “Upload” button. Click there to upload your photos.
Tag your submission(s) On your screen on the left you will see “Organize” button. Click there, and drag the pictures you wish to add to the contest. On the same screen there is the “Add tags” button, click there to add tags to all pictures you have chosen. In the bracket type:FP2014CC. (This is a very important step – without this tag your photos will not be considered for the competition). Once you’ve confirmed the tags, find the “Send to Group” button, select FPDCC and confirm.
NOTE: Photos that are already in our Flickr pool are eligible for the contest so long as they were not finalists last year. To submit those photos to the contest, just add the #FP2014CC tag.
That’s it, you’ve entered the contest! Thank you and good luck!
Photos submitted through this mechanism may be shared by the Forest Preserves of Cook County with our Flickr™ community in direct connection with this contest. Any photos shared will be properly credited to their photographers based on the information provided during the submission process.
If you have trouble using Flickr™, please consult their online help files. The Forest Preserve District is not responsible for any issues or problems you encounter while trying to upload a photo(s) on Flickr™.
You welcome to share other photos of the Forest Preserves with us on Flickr as well. We look forward to seeing your photos!
If you have any questions, please contact: Karolina.Skott@cookcountyil.gov
*Members of the FPDCC judging panel are not eligible to submit entries to the contest.