Cross-country skiing is fast becoming the most popular winter pastime in the Forest Preserve District of Cook County. Persons may cross country ski in all areas of the District, (except certain special use areas — golf courses and nature centers), from 8am to sunset. Please take note of our Rules of the Trail before your visit.
Camp Sagawau offers a complete Nordic Ski Program, including lessons for all ability levels, nature ski tours, school group programs, and ski rentals. Beginners may want to review Camp Sagawau’s Nordic Skiing Preparation Guide for basic information about the sport, including equipment requirements, lessons, and more.
All recognized trails are open for skiing, weather permitting. View our trail maps here.
Ski Equipment Rental Fee
Ski rental is available at Camp Sagawau ONLY, from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. Skis must be returned by 4 p.m. on days suitable for skiing.
INDIVIDUAL: $12 (plus $100 deposit)
SENIOR (55 and older): $10 (plus (100 deposit)
FAMILY RATE: $30 (plus $100 deposit)
An Illinois driver’s license will be accepted in lieu of a deposit.
Rules of the Trail:
Following these rules for cross-country conduct will make your skiing safer and more fun.
- RESPECT OTHERS: Ski so that you don’t endanger or offend others.
- SKI RIGHT: Ski the right-hand track. Groups should ski single file on the right side of the trail.
- MEETING: Keep to the right when meeting. On hills, downhill skiers have the right of way.
- POLES IN: Keep your poles close to your body when near other skiers.
- KEEP TRAILS CLEAR: If you stop, get out of the track. If you fall, get up and out of the track quickly.
- WATCH YOUR SPEED: Suit your skiing speed to your personal ability, the terrain, visibility especially on hills. Keep a safe distance from skiers ahead. As a last resort, fall intention-ally to avoid a collision.
- DON’T LITTER: Don’t carry in what you cannot carry out. Carrying litter is easy — it’s light.