The Legal Department represents the Forest Preserves of Cook County in lawsuits filed against, or by, the Forest Preserves, including lawsuits involving personal injuries to Forest Preserves visitors, disputes with adjoining landowners, employment matters and contract disputes. The Legal Department also is responsible for creating and enforcing ordinances.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing legal advice and legislative support to the President, members of the Board of Commissioners, the General Superintendent, and staff of the Forest Preserves
- Reviewing, drafting, and negotiating license agreements, intergovernmental agreements and various other contracts
- Closing real estate acquisitions
- Addressing Freedom of Information Act requests
- Facilitating the employee disciplinary process in conjunction with the Human Resources Department
Additionally, the Legal Department handles employee complaints and litigation matters that involve administrative bodies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Illinois Labor Relations Board and the Cook County Commission on Human Rights.