Snowmobiles are allowed at four designated locations in the Forest Preserves under certain winter conditions.
On this page:
Snowmobile areas are open from 10 am to 10 pm on days when the soil is frozen with a minimum snow depth of four inches and temperatures are constant 20 degrees or less.
Public safety requires the temporary closing of some Forest Preserves parking areas during the winter season. However, our maintenance department prioritizes the clearing of parking areas serving winter activities. Always call ahead to make sure snowmobile areas and parking areas are open.
Call 847-437-8330 for snowmobile area status.
Call 708-839-5617 for snowmobile area status.
Call 708-385-7650 for snowmobile area status.
Call 708-474-1221 for snowmobile area status.
Decal Registration & Rates
All snowmobiles operated on Forest Preserves property must be properly registered with the Forest Preserves of Cook County and Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR). IDNR registration is required prior to obtaining Forest Preserves registration. All snowmobiles must display current registration decals.
|Cook County Resident||$50/decal|
How to Apply
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, 2020/2021 snowmobiling decals will only be sold online and mailed. Please allow two to three days processing time and USPS mailing time. In-person sales are suspended this season.
In addition to your online application, you must submit proof of current IDNR registration (page 2 of the PDF application) via email to email@example.com.
Rules & Regulations
The owner and any operator of a snowmobile, registered with the State of Illinois and the Forest Preserves of Cook County, shall abide by all the rules and regulations set forth by the State of Illinois and the Forest Preserves of Cook County, including the following:
Snowmobiles may be operated:
- Only on days when the soil is frozen with a minimum snow depth of four (4) inches and temperatures are constant 20 degrees or less
- Only in the designated areas of the Forest Preserves listed above, between the hours of 10:00 am and 10:00 pm
No snowmobiles shall be operated at any time:
- Unless equipped with working headlights, tail-lights, brakes, and a proper muffler of the type which comes as standard equipment with the snowmobile.
- In a reckless or careless manner
- In excess of 40 mph
- While the operator is under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- In parking lots (except for the purpose of loading or unloading)
- In any manner intended or reasonably to be expected to harass, drive or pursue any wildlife
Any persons violating any clause or provision of the rules and regulations set forth by the State of Illinois or the Forest Preserves of Cook County pertaining to snowmobiles shall be subject to penalties as established by the Illinois Snowmobile Registrations and Safety Act and by the Forest Preserves Ordinance.