New and experienced birders can enjoy this fun and versatile year-round activity while exploring the Forest Preserves.
On this page:
Whether you are an avid birder or just starting out, track all of your bird sightings by downloading the printable Forest Preserves of Cook County Birding Checklist!
Printed copies of the checklist are available Forest Preserves Nature Centers.
The #BirdThePreserves initiative launched in 2016 to promote the Forest Preserves as a world-class destination for birding—and to expose new audiences to this popular activity.
Help promote birding in the Forest Preserves by using the #BirdThePreserves hash tag whenever you post birding photos and observations on social media.
The Forest Preserves continues to hold dozens of #BirdThePreserves events each year.
Bird of the Month
Check out our Bird of the Month posts from the first year of the #BirdThePreserves campaign:
- Timberdoodles Have Moves – March
- Wood Ducks Make Unique Parents – April
- Baltimore Orioles Have a Taste for Sugar – May
- Great Egrets Use Their Bill as a Spear – June
- Osprey Have a Good Grip on Things – July
- Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are Intense Flyers – August
- Black-capped Chickadees Like to Flock – September
- Red-bellied Woodpeckers are Built to Eat – October
- Eastern Screech Owls are Very Flexible – November