The Forest Preserves of Cook County Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) is a five‐year projection of planned capital improvements to the Forest Preserves’ buildings, trails and infrastructure.
The $139 million five-year plan for 2023 to 2027 includes roughly $41.5 million in projected spending in 2023 primarily for rehabilitation and renewal of existing facilities, including:
- Rehabilitating or repaving of a popular paved loop trail and portions of the Des Plaines and Deer Grove unpaved trail systems.
- Major renovation of Crabtree Nature Center and Caldwell Warming Shelter buildings.
- Rehabilitation of boating and fishing infrastructure at Beaubien Woods.
- Repaving access roads and parking areas at 8 locations.
- Structural repair of picnic shelters in the western suburbs.
- Replacement of a multi-purpose maintenance building.
Roughly $47 million in additional new amenities that could benefit Forest Preserves visitors, but will require new grant funding or partner support, are also included in this report in a separate appendix. Capital needs continue to outpace available funding. Roughly $7.5 million in new Construction & Development Funding is proposed in 2023.
Comments may be submitted to email@example.com at this time. The final version will be posted in January 2023.
Requests for New or Improved Facilities, Amenities & Infrastructure
Learn about the process for requesting new or improved buildings, trails, recreation facilities or infrastructure and make specific requests.