The Forest Preserves of Cook County Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) is a five‐year projection of planned capital improvements to the Forest Preserves’ buildings, trails and infrastructure.
The $200 million five-year plan for 2023 to 2027 includes $59 million in projected spending in 2023 primarily for rehabilitation and renewal of existing facilities, including:
- Rehabilitating or repaving of a popular paved loop trail and portions of the Des Plaines River and Deer Grove unpaved trail systems.
- Major renovation of Crabtree Nature Center and Caldwell Warming Shelter buildings.
- Rehabilitation of boating and fishing infrastructure at Beaubien Woods.
- Repaving access roads and parking areas at 16 locations.
- Structural repair of picnic shelters in north and western suburbs.
- Renovation of comfort stations at Busse Woods and Dan Ryan Woods.
- Replacement of a multi-purpose maintenance building.
Roughly $47 million in additional new amenities that could benefit Forest Preserves visitors, but will require new grant funding or partner support, are also included in this report in a separate appendix. Due primarily to the passage of the referendum, a total of $27 million in new Construction & Development Funding is proposed in 2023.
Comments may be submitted to email@example.com.
Requests for New or Improved Facilities, Amenities & Infrastructure
Learn about the process for requesting new or improved buildings, trails, recreation facilities or infrastructure and make specific requests.