The Chicago Portage Historic Site Master Plan (2018) explores ideas and recommendations for the future of the Chicago Portage National Historic Site owned and managed by the Forest Preserves of Cook County.
The purpose of the report is to provide both short term and long term strategies for:
- Improving public awareness of the portage and connectivity to the site,
- Enhancing accessibility within the site and to adjacent areas,
- Encouraging a greater and deeper understanding of the portage story,
- Improving site facilities, and
- Clarifying operational and management systems for the site.
Though there have been planning efforts in the past regarding the site, and significant improvements have been completed in recent years, this comprehensive Master Plan document serves to guide future decisions regarding upgrades, programs, and strategies for enhancing the Portage Site.