« All News

Press Release: Newly Paved Trail Spur in Hoffman Estates Now Open

Paved spur provides easy access to Arthur L. Janura Forest Preserve and miles of paved and unpaved trails

August 1, 2020 — Cook County Board and Forest Preserves of Cook County President Toni Preckwinkle and Forest Preserves General Superintendent Arnold Randall were joined today by state and local elected officials along with municipal leaders for a ribbon-cutting to celebrate the opening of a newly paved trail spur connecting Hoffman Estates homes to the Poplar Creek Trail System.

The project—completed thanks to a partnership between the Village of Hoffman Estates, the local lead agency on the project; Hoffman Estates Park District; and Forest Preserves of Cook County—provides walkers, runners and bicyclists from local communities easy access to an 8.8-mile paved loop and the Arthur L. Janura Forest Preserve complex, as well as other neighborhoods, retail and park district facilities.

“Like many improvements to our Forest Preserves, this project is another way to provide residents with easy access to amazing natural areas. Trails are an important resource for healthy living. During this pandemic, we have seen unprecedented interest in visiting a Forest Preserve,” said President Preckwinkle. “And like many of these improvements, it could not have happened without great partners bringing resources, ideas and planning to the table.”

The Village of Hoffman Estates partnered with the Forest Preserves of Cook County and the Hoffman Estates Park District on the project’s grant, which funded the majority of the engineering and construction costs. In total, the project cost approximately $470,000. The Village of Hoffman Estates secured 80 percent of the funding for the project—approximately $376,000—through the Illinois Transportation Enhancement Program. The remaining 20 percent of funding was shared by the Village, Hoffman Estates Park District and the Forest Preserves of Cook County.

“Our Recreational Master Plan is clear that trails are a highly rated recreational activity for the public, and a major focus of ours has been to expand and connect regional trails,” said General Superintendent Randall. “I want to thank the Village and the Park District for their commitment and support for this project. Paving this trail spur means that local residents have an easy route to additional recreational opportunities, as well as access to a world of natural wonder to explore.”

Within the 4,366-acre Arthur L. Janura Forest Preserve complex, visitors can go fishing in Bode Lake; see bobolinks, eastern meadowlarks and Henslow’s sparrows at the Schaumberg Road Grassland; and volunteer to help restore native habitats at sites like the Carl R. Hansen Woods. The complex also includes the Shoe Factory Road Nature Preserve, one of 25 Illinois Nature Preserves in the Forest Preserves. Bordering the complex is an 8.8-mile paved loop trail, part of the Poplar Creek Trail System, which also offers miles of unpaved trails.

“The Poplar Creek Trail System and the recent connection to Hoffman Estates homes is an important enhancement to the northwest suburban bike path system. This project proves what happens when governments work together for a great public benefit,” said Village of Hoffman Estates Mayor Bill McLeod.

“The Hoffman Estates Park District is proud to be a part of the intergovernmental partnership that helped complete this important link in the ever-expanding network of bicycle and pedestrian access throughout our community. The system of forest preserve and park paths, off-street village paths and on-street dedicated and shared biking lanes have made our community safer and more accessible for our local biking, running and walking enthusiasts,” said Keith Evans, a Commissioner of the Hoffman Estates Park District and Member of the Village of Hoffman Estates Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee. “The spur being dedicated today provides a vital connection to our western Hoffman Estates parks offering baseball, softball, soccer, cricket, disc golf, tennis, basketball, volleyball, fishing, outdoor fitness course, walking paths, football, off-leash dog park, wetlands and, of course, playgrounds.”

Also speaking at the ribbon-cutting ceremony were Illinois State Senator Cristina Castro, Illinois State Representative Michelle Mussman, and Cook County Commissioner Kevin Morrison.

For more information on the Poplar Creek Trail System or to download a PDF trail map, visit www.fpdcc.com. A mobile friendly web map is also available at map.fpdcc.com.


About the Forest Preserves of Cook County
Don’t you sometimes just want to escape? Explore the natural beauty of Cook County for an hour, a day or even a night. When you’re surrounded by 70,000 acres of wild and wonderful there’s no better place to feel free.