The Forest Preserve District of Cook County’s Camping Master Plan is complete. Thank you to everyone who participated in focus groups, webinars and interviews, and provided feedback through the online survey.
The Camping Master Plan outlines a variety of offerings to serve youth, families, groups and individuals of all ages, interests and backgrounds. The plan emphasizes primitive camping and envisions a series of related yet diverse camping experiences built by reinvesting in and revitalizing existing camps, creating new camping destinations, and developing special event campsites near nature centers.
Work on the initial sites is expected to begin in the summer 2013, with all sites completed by the summer of 2015.
Please note: Camp Alphonse will be the only campsite available for camping in 2014. Camp Sullivan will be closed for renovation. Click here for more information
Check out the most recent plans for our 5 priority sites.
- Camp Reinberg (existing) – Palatine
- Camp Sullivan (existing) – Tinley Park
- Camp Pine Woods (new) – Northbrook
- Camp Bullfrog Lake/Pulaski Woods (new) – Willow Springs
- Shabonna Woods (new) – South Holland
You can also view plans for improvements to Maple Lake, a future day-use site.
- Kiwanis Equestrian Camp (new) – Willow Springs
- Skokie Lagoons (new) – Glencoe/Winnetka
- Thatcher Woods (new) – River Forest
View site and building prototypes for the proposed campgrounds.
County-wide map of all campgrounds and a programming summary.
Click here to download the complete plan (PDF)